My He(ART)-Full Life



Tuesday, February 4, 2014

celebrating milestones and more

 “Parents rarely let go of their children, so children let go of them. They move on. They move away. The moments that used to define them - a mother's approval, a father's nod - are covered by moments of their own accomplishments. It is not until much later, as the skin sags and the heart weakens, that children understand; their stories, and all their accomplishments, sit atop the stories of their mothers and fathers, stones upon stones, beneath the waters of their lives.” 
                                                               -Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Tara turned 5 last week and I am still trying to wrap my head around it...where did the time go???It seems as if it was just yesterday when I first saw her little angel face and felt my whole heart break wide open with infinite love. And somehow...turning 5 seems so much different than all her other birthdays...this one seemed like a milestone. Every day she's opening herself up to the larger world...and more and more I see how she is truly growing up. It's bittersweet...so so bittersweet. Because a huge part of me yearns for the time of baby feet and baby smells but another part of me is so very proud of the little girl she's grow up to be. So amidst all the celebrating ...and truly, there is so much to celebrate...there was also a little bit of small mournings, tears and transitions. I guess so much of life is all about letting go, though...isn't it??

 Tara actually had an entire birthday weekend where she got to do all the fun stuff she loves...going to her fave. restaurant, hanging out with her friends, going to the movies...and of course... being a princess!



 In other news...I have fallen behind on my blog. I am trying to be a full time mom while still practicing self care (ie. sleep!!!) and still get into my studio!!!! Okay...there are only 24 hours in the day:) But I am not stressing out about any of it anymore...I just do the best I can knowing full well that the time will come soon enough when I will have all the time I need. So...for now...I accept that I can't do everything I would like!

 The past week has been frosty cold and while it all looks so beautiful with tons of photographic opportunities...I'm kinda' wishing we were in Jamaica right about now:) Okay...Spring...where are you?? Unfortunately...there's just no end in sight with heavy snowfalls and blizzards every other day. On the plus side, it makes for tons of time snuggling and reading, though:)

And these are a couple of sheets of (watercolor) paper I'm preparing...am going to continue adding layers and layers and layers...drips and splatters of inks, paints, markers, oil pastels, patterned papers...building up history and depth so I can paint my stories on them. I'm enjoying the process of discoveries...trying out new techniques + color combos and above all...letting go.

No comments: