My He(ART)-Full Life



Monday, September 10, 2012

breakthrough!!

It's all coming together and i feel as if I have just had a conceptual breakthrough regarding the direction of my art!!! Excited, exhilarated and over the moon! For so many months I  have been feeling as if my art has been stagnant; like I was stuck in a creative rut. I couldn't figure out why on earth I was painting the same lady over and over again. I mean...it's not as if I don't know how to paint different subjects but she just kept on manifesting in my art. It was frustrating. I also felt as if all my ladies were too pretty...I wanted some ugliness and, I don't know...maybe quirkiness:) I wrote about it here . So this is what I decided to do...

The first thing I did was make the choice to fully embrace this particular junction on my creative journey. I decided to accept that this lady must be painted!!! Then I started writing...pages + pages filling up my journal. I read and re-read different books that spoke to me, that called me. Dr. Estes, Alice Walker, Audre Lorde, Pema Chodron, Karen Maezen Miller...on and on it went. Reading, writing, painting...reading, writing painting. And this is what I realised...

All these women are aspects of my psyche; they need to be heard...they have a story to tell. they want to be seen. they must be seen. When I give her a voice, I am recovering aspects of mySELF that otherwise would be forever lost. So...if she wants to be painted a million times...that's the way it's going to be:) And why are my women so pretty??? Because delving down deep into our wounds and scars and bringing them to light, giving voice to our vulnerability and deep psychic injuries, speaking our truth and healing ourSELVES...is truly beautiful. When we can hold our deepest fears, insecurities and vulnerabilities with deep tenderness. that's beautiful. When we can accept our gifts, strengths and beauty. that's beautiful.  when we can simply. be. ourSELVES. that's beautiful.

3 comments:

laurie said...

i can so relate to this post! sometimes i wonder why my own art is so simplistic and "pretty" but this is the VOICE that is speaking to me right then. and, when all the other stuff is sifted through, we are left with what is beautiful, our very core. please keep listening to your heart and paint what you FEEL coming through your soul.

Anonymous said...

aha! well done for holding on till all became clear! and they are strong as well as beautiful, just like you :)

SooZeQue said...

Painting this woman is obviously something you truly love and if that's so you should keep painting her. It may be the same woman, but each time she it always different. I love how all the colors meld so perfectly. I can't figure out how that is done so wonderfully. Someday maybe you'll show me ~ and I'll show you how to weld! :)