My He(ART)-Full Life



Thursday, May 30, 2013

random this + that goodness

Yesterday morning I was reading Robyn's blog and came across this poem right here by Mary Oliver

“It doesn’t have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don’t try
to make them elaborate, this isn’t
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.”-
Praying (from her book Thirst)
and it really grabbed me in a visceral way. you know how when a poem or a story just wraps itself around the very heart and essence of you...and you succumb to it's magic and mystery...ever so grateful to have come across it??? Well...that's what happened to me. You see...I am not a religious person at all. I was born a Hindu but then completely rejected it somewhere in my mid-teens. It's where I started questioning everything and really trying to construct my identity. So...it got tossed aside. In my twenties..I started going down the path of Buddhism, Rastafarianism and gypsy/nomad/free spirit stuff. But at the heart of it all...I would say that I feel most at one with the Universe when I am in nature. Just give me a piece of black earth, a tree, sunshine and rain...a red poppy...a blue bird...and I am touching the sacred. So this poem just had me soaring into the horizons of my deepest SELF.

loving this post right here where Vivienne talks about the role of vanity in self portraiture. Loving the honesty and insight about the role of beauty, photography as a healing tool and...even as a radical (political) act!  Such a great article because so many of us misinterpret self portraiture. After spending most of my early teen years where I hated having my photo taken to my late twenties when I took too many pics that were not based in self love and self care...to right now where I am using the camera as a tool. Evidence. Of who I am. right now. my life. saying...here I am. Laying claim ...to mySELF. Pretty powerful stuff. 

 Enjoying these early spring days over here...slowing planting flowers and seeds. Reading this book right now which has me deliriously in love...laughing + crying and in awe. I am seriously loving it and can't put it down!! Her honesty, vulnerability and insight has me gasping for breath. Also reading this book ...a section a day. So many insights into my behavior...loving it!!! More self care and self love spills out into my family, my relationships, my art...the whole of my life. Great stuff! I have a whole stack of books piled up in my studio that I really want to read over the summer.
Also. Tara and I made popsicles yesterday that were easy, healthy and super delish!!! Here's the recipe if you would like to try it out!
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (I use a low fat one)
1/4 cup of brown sugar (or preferred sweetener)
1 cup frozen berries (we used blackberries)
dash of vanilla essence
blend, freeze in popsicle mold and...enjoy! Preferably outside, in the sunshine...with music and laughter:)
*have a great weekend friends!

No comments: