My He(ART)-Full Life



Friday, December 16, 2011

Xmas spirit

(Tara's Xmas ornament and stocking)
This is the Xmas ornament Tara picked out for herself this year. She passed up on all the glittery, glassy, feathery ones and picked this sturdy wooden birdhouse. Of course, our Xmas tree is packed away, so it's hanging on the key rack right now but...that's o.k. Since we are smack in the middle of moving I decided that I would have to coax out my Xmas spirit. I can't do all the obvious things like decorating our house and tree, baking or cooking but...Xmas is about so much more than that, isn't it? For most of my life, this hasn't been  a big holiday or celebration for me but now that we have Tara, all of that has changed. I want her to experience the magic of the season and, even more so, to fully understand that Xmas is as much about giving as it is about receiving.
It's about offering up our hearts, our time, our friendship, our kindness. I really hope I can instill that in Tara. Oh! yeah...and it's a tiny bit about gifts too:) I know that during this season we can focus so much on all the things we need to do, things that are left undone and stress out. But this year I am making an effort to focus   on each day, each joy-full lovely moment and be ever so thankful that I get to spend Xmas with my family. There's a part of me that's in total panic mode. And there's another part of me that's completely calm.
Happy holiday season...friends

2 comments:

patty said...

Soraya, I totally get about the 2 parts of you.... I am the same way. We are so complex, but thank goodness for the calm part that tempers the panicked part!! And, yes, I love that the holidays can really let us focus on giving if we so choose. Since we are dealing with some sadness over here, we are shifting our focus in that direction and, believe me, it does make a difference!! Hoping to see you VERY SOON!!!

SooZeQue said...

If only we could all realize what Christmas is about ~ sadly I'm surround lately by people that think it's about how many gifts they are gonna get. What's happening! I'm torn between teaching a lesson about how few gifts it takes to realize how many gifts you have. And I'm trying to remember your comments about .... just breathe! Safe travels to you guys on your move when the days finally gets here.