Tuesday, March 29, 2011
kicking some ass!
"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." -Maya Angelou
I am on a serious girl power steak over here!I don't know if it's because I have been sorting through some of my books, or the latest O mag or...But here are some women that I think are seriously kicking some ass!
*Winnie Mandela-say what you will about her, she's her own woman!
* Dr. Vandana Siva-where would I even begin?
* Mary Oliver-besides her poetry that makes us swoon...this month's interview in O mag has me head over heels in love with her
* Oprah-no need to expand on this!
* Toni Morrsion-yes she won the Nobel and the Pulitzer ...but all you have to do is read her words or hear her speak to know...this is greatness right here. Her work is rich poetry woven like a tapestry of the human soul. I heard her speak once...a long time ago. All I could do was tremble.
*Bethany Hamilton-after a shark bit off one of her arms while surfing, this 13 year old girl decided to continue surfing (!!) and even took up snowboarding!! Okay...can we say amazing?
* Waris Dirie -this super successful supermodel from Somalia tirelessly works to stop female genital mutilation; a common occurrence in so many parts of the world.
* Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes-love this woman! Her spirit,. mind, soul and intellect stir me to no ends.
* Rita Banerji-can we say powerhouse??
* Dr. Wangari Maathai: Besides winning the Nobel, being an environmental activist and getting elected to Parliament...her former husband said they divorced because Maathai was "“too educated, too strong, too successful, too stubborn and too hard to control.”...Hmmm!
Of course there are a gazillion more over the top amazing girls and women who ...are seriously kicking ass out there. Can you share a few of your faves?