My He(ART)-Full Life



Sunday, June 10, 2012

fairy garden DIY: simple, adorable, magical

Tara and I made a fairy garden this weekend...it is so simple + adorable I just had to share it with you!!! I started off with a medium terracotta pot (any size will do) and painted it (Behr Blueberry Mountain). Then I took a hammer and cracked it completely apart and painted the individual pieces.

We started layering sand, dried seed pods, leaves with the terracotta pieces. Pretty simple so far, right??

Now comes the fun stuff!! We added all sorts of moss (isn't it gorgeous??) . I picked up a bag from Michaels. It really gives it depth, texture and color, don't you think??

A plate I picked up at the thrift store gets broken in pieces (I used a hammer). It gives us a beautiful, stable +  flat surface to work on. 

We picked up some tiny wooden furniture and a house (again from Michaels). Here's Tara painting up a storm!!

More moss and ...fairy dust on the roof, of course!!
Here it is all finished!!! . Isn't that white picket fence over the top adorable??? I picked it up at Michaels too (love that store!!) You can make it as simple or as elaborate as you want...we are going to add a tiny bench and a toadstool. It's simply magical...who can resist. Tara is beside herself with excitement...she wants to write a note to the fairies and leave it in their house tonight:) 

3 comments:

scrapwordsmom said...

Soooo cute!! Oh if my em was a little sweets again we would do this. I miss those afternoons together.

laurie said...

such a beautiful and imaginative project! i remember how i loved to create little "worlds" when i was young.

ArtPropelled said...

No surprise that Tara is beside herself with excitement. We used to build fairy gardens but nothing quite so festive as yours. We always had little acorn cups for squashed berry tea.