My He(ART)-Full Life



Wednesday, October 13, 2010

stepping into our power

 

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

                                                                                                        -Marianne Williamson

So many of us are fearful of stepping into our power; especially as women. Or we do so in a half-hearted way...lest we offend anyone.  Or maybe we are afraid to claim our power for fear we will have to live up to it. Sometimes...we just don't know how. Here is what I have learned about stepping into my power-not that I am there yet, but I am on my way! It will take my lifetime perhaps...negotiating differences and new situations as they come along...

1. Be true to mySELF.

2. Don't try to please everyone (impossible) and don't pay attention to what others say.

3. Follow my instincts, my gut.

4. Trust in mySELF.

5. One small step at a time.

6. Believe in mySELF, my work.

7. Fight for whats important to me. Some things are worth standing up and fighting for. 

8. Discard gender biases that simply don't work for me.

9. Develop and sustain congruence between my beliefs and actions. 

10. Set boundaries-they work and it gets easier each time you do it!

11. Build a community...blogging has been so amazing for that!

12. Take time to nurture mySELF. 

What are your thoughts on stepping fully into your power?

***********************************************************************

I received the most beautiful gift in the mail yesterday from fellow blogger Meegan...it is an angel; from the Demdeco line Willow Tree. It was so thoughtful, sweet and generous...thank you sweet friend! And your card put a smile in my heart:) I am continually reminded of the generosity of this blogging community-whether it be in gifts, words of support , encouragement and time...or the opening up of your stories and your lives with truth and authenticity. This community rocks!!

 


6 comments:

Juliette Crane said...

what a lovely post and such a wonderful gift! thank you so much for sharing your heart!

i cannot believe i haven't yet been a follower of your blog. so sorry! i love stopping by! you're always so inspiring!

best wishes,
juliette

Carola Bartz said...

Soraya - your posts always have so much content to THINK about. I really like your lists - 1,2,3... - how you write down your thoughts about it. I wish I was a "organised" as you - but I can certainly learn from you!

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

I say "yes" to each and every step you mentioned. I am amazed at the seemingly simple choices one has to choose to make yet I KNOW some steps are easier than others at certain times in our lives. I love being able to come over to your blog and stay connected with your sweet friend. Continue to be as authentic as you are-it is TRULY a blessing. Sincerely, Robin

Lis said...

I am copying your list and will keep it handy as so much of what you say resonates in my heart. guess that is why Meegan sent you the heart angel :) your heart is a powerful force that inspires us all ... generosity, truthfulness, compassion are the first words that come to mind when i think about you and read your thoughts and see your art.

here is my angel, cousin to yours: http://unravellingtogether.blogspot.com/2010/10/101010-embrace.html

xo lis

Wini said...

Dear Soraya, What a wonderful post! You have given me a big dose of inspiration, and its just what I needed to read, Thank you!! Wini xo

Meegan said...

I'm glad you liked your gift. It seemed very fitting because of the way you greet the world with such an open heart.

I need to follow this list as well. So empowering!