Well-the first week of Flying Lessons is over and it has been equal parts inspiration, information and...HEART. What an amazing week! One of the recurring issues that a lot of classmates have is finding time for creativity. We all have busy lives with children, husbands, family, jobs etc....so how can we make the time to write, paint, blog etc. Like everyone else, I, too, struggle with this daily; I have a toddler who requires my constant attention. Here are a few tricks that I found work for me:
1. I plan, plan, plan! I really try to utilise the time when baby sleeps.
2. I carry my camera with me everywhere I go. That pic I took last week of a hot cup of tea and an apple pie might be perfect to use for a post on gratitude or simplicity that I have yet to write.
3. I carry a little journal with me and constantly write down ideas for my blog. They could be just scribbles of info. or more thought-out ideas
4. I set aside x# of nights (after baby goes to sleep) to paint no matter what. I don't await for inspiration or an idea, I just start.
5. I really try to set aside some me time-even 20 mins for a hot bath, a cup of tea and a fave magazine or meditation. This replenishes me.
6. I exercise with baby (walks, swimming) so I don't have to use spare time to fit this in.
7. I don't watch T.V. (this may seem extreme but it works!)
8. I cut back on sleep-not a whole lot but even an extra half hour adds up over time.
9. I don't stress about housework. Sometimes if the laundry isn't done or there are a few dishes in the sink; it' s okay.
10. I really try not to allow negative people into my life; I find that this is a major energy-zapper. Of course sometimes, it can't be helped eg a co-worker etc but ...I try to be mindful of the energy I allow into my space.
I have a really supportive hubby so that helps tremendously. Two books I highly recommend to help prioritize and plan are
1. The 7 habit of Highly Effective People
2. The 8th Habit
Both books are by Stephen Covey. They are not the artsy books I love with great visuals; lush art and photography, but these books are EXCELLENT in time management and achieving goals. It gives you the tools so that YOU can write a lush, artsy book! Now I have no idea how women with 3, 4 or more children manage their time to fit creativity in, but I would love to know!! I would love if you shared your tips on how to make time for creativity!