Sunday, October 3, 2010
the art of creativity
I think so many of us are thirsting to know how to become more creative...in our art and our everyday lives. There is so much written on this subject yet it seems so elusive sometimes. Where does creativity come from, can we do specific things to facilitate the process, do we need a muse?
1. I paint! I don't wait for inspiration ...I just make a routine of going into my studio and starting.
2. I constantly try new things even when they have nothing to do with art; taking a new walking route, trying out new recipes, going to different ethnic markets.
3. I read read read ...for inspiration, techniques, knowledge.
4. I have a routine that I really try to stick to.
5. I have a practice of meditation. Okay...I don't do it everyday!
6. I write-in my sketchbook/journal; I am constantly writing ideas for paintings and bodies of work.
7. I constantly flex my creative muscles whether it's arranging flowers, decorating our home or taking photos.
8. I'm not afraid of making mistakes...I take tons of pics to get the perfect one and I have plenty of paintings that are really horrid (I paint over top of them).
1. Women who Run with Wolves-Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes
2. The Creative Habit-Twyla Tharp
3. The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women-Gail McMeekin
3. Finding your Visual Voice-Dakota Mitchell
5. Celebrate Your Creative Self-Mary Todd Beam
6. The New Creative Artist -Nita Leland
7. Art + Quilt: Design Principles and Creative Exercises -Lyric Kinard
How do you invite and infuse creativity into your lives? What are some specific things you do? I would love to know!