My He(ART)-Full Life



Sunday, October 3, 2010

the art of creativity

 
" Creativity belongs to all of us. To create means to relate. The root meaning of the word art is to fit together and we all do this every day. Not all of us are painters, but we are all artists. Each time that we fit things together we are creating-whether it is to make a loaf of bread, a child, a day"- Corita Kent
I think so many of us are thirsting to know how to become more creative...in our art and our everyday lives. There is so much written on this subject yet it seems so elusive sometimes. Where does creativity come from, can we do specific things to facilitate the process, do we need a muse?

Some of the things I have found that work for me...
1. I paint! I don't wait for inspiration ...I just make a routine of going into my studio and starting.
2. I constantly try new things even when they have nothing to do with art; taking a new walking route, trying out new recipes, going to different ethnic markets.
3. I read read read ...for inspiration, techniques, knowledge.
4. I have a routine that I really try to stick to.
5. I have a practice of meditation. Okay...I don't do it everyday!
6. I write-in my sketchbook/journal; I am constantly writing ideas for paintings and bodies of work.
7. I constantly flex my creative muscles whether it's arranging flowers, decorating our home or taking photos.
8. I'm not afraid of making mistakes...I take tons of pics to get the perfect one and I have plenty of paintings that are really horrid (I paint over top of them).

A few of my fave creativity books:
1. Women who Run with Wolves-Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes
2. The Creative Habit-Twyla Tharp 
3. The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women-Gail McMeekin
3. Finding your Visual Voice-Dakota Mitchell
5. Celebrate Your Creative Self-Mary Todd Beam
6. The New Creative Artist  -Nita Leland
7. Art + Quilt: Design Principles and Creative Exercises -Lyric Kinard
How do you invite and infuse creativity into your lives? What are some specific things you do? I would love to know!

7 comments:

scrapwordsmom said...

I ADORE the book 12 Habits!! I have it and it is my creative bible!!

Thank you for all these book ideas, too. I am gonna link back to your post today from my post if that's okay. This is GREAT stuff!! You inspire me sooooo much.

How was your weekend? Thought about you and your cute family!!

eva diva said...

I have books with similar titles, being a reader with a voracious appetite. My creative habit includes meditation (early in the morning cos I'm such a morning person), dancing to get in touch with my body, singing, and surfing for female painters and their painters, especially inspirational ones! I also am a firm believer that we should surround ourselves with beautiful things to get inspired!

jacqueline said...

Dearest soraya, this is really such a resouceful post! Thanks soo much for sharing with us!! You are truely inspiring and amazing! And i will have to check out your book list in my local book shop! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to yoU!

Debbie Fabos said...

Hello my sister! I don't have any books or CDs about creating except for Dr. E.'s 'Warming the Creative Fire' I think that's the title, I can't fird the CD right now. For me I have always been creative in contructing my life through healing or little adventures that feed my soul. For me it has been more of an action than reading about it. Except for certain music and poetry. That can stir my creative juices at times.

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also beleive." by Anatole France

I think you do these things sister. With much love, grace, and gratitude. Happy Thanksgiving in Canada!

ArtPropelled said...

I've read 5 of the books on your list. 12 Habits being my favourite.
What do I do? Find a quiet space and lose myself in my work. A meditation in itself. Great quote and inspiring photos.

Blue Moon Mama said...

I love your photographs!

Creativity is elusive for me lately but I find that I feel most creative and inspired in either active spaces or spaces that touch me on an aesthetic level for example I love to write in bookstore cafes and I love taking photos in gardens, unique old towns or funky vintage shops.

I've read the Twyla Tharp book that you show in your pictures. Books and magazines are a huge inspiration for me, as is reading blogs. I keep a notebook handy to record my inspiration.

Another time I think most creatively is during car trips when I'm a passenger. I find lots of ideas pop into my head as I'm just mindlessly looking out the window.

Thanks for the email! I'll send your little gift this weekend! :)

herhimnbryn said...

Thankyou for the kind comment you left at my blog.